How Do Hosting Services Function?
A hosting service applies to stockpiling and/or sharing given content on a web hosting server administered by a hosting company. There are various classes of hosting services used for different aims, so let's have a glimpse at these. Doing so, you can decide what you need, based on whether you desire to have a weblog, mails, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a solution furnished by some companies, which lets you share huge files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only purpose is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting plans frequently include advertisements by the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a particular spell of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel web hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely wrong explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud hosting platform would distribute the load between autonomous groups of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various hosting services (electronic mail, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a kind of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain providers offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting kind is good if you would like to share a great quantity of pictures with pals or acquaintances since the service is commonly free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to handling your e-mails. Some vendors offer hosting services for web sites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you wish to possess an e-mail address with your domain but do not wish to have a site, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can open email box accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domain. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file produces a given amount of CPU load, so with a handful of video files and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have a problem with your hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will permit you to run as many video clips as you would like without bothering about system quotas.
- Hosting: this is the solution that you require if you desire to own a site. To a certain extent, it embodies all of the abovementioned hosting forms since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and email mailbox accounts, upload videos, and so on. At you can take a glimpse at shared hosting and dedicated server solutions that enable you to have all of the aforementioned solutions in one single location. There may be limitations depending on the form of hosting service that you've selected - a free web hosting plan, a paid shared web hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the normal email/file/video/image hosting packages that are conceived for particular web content only.